After 8 years, I've amassed quite a repertoire of "lessons" on being a firefighter's wife. These are the highlights.
10. Have a sense of humor. After all, what do you expect to happen when you stick 8 guys together in one building for 24 hours? It's like a frat house - with all the boredom and none of the booze.
9. Firefighters have groupies. Yep, you heard me. They are like the U2 of the public safety world. Everyone loves a firefighter. Word of advice ladies - have something that keeps 'em coming home *wink wink.
8. If something "bad" is gonna happen, your man ain't going to be home to handle it. Be prepared.
7. If something really, really, really "bad" is gonna happen - you have a your own personal squad of firefighters and paramedics to handle it.
6. Fear the phrase, "Now babe, don't freak out. It's just a scratch." -2 surgeries, 17 stitches, and four months later.
5. You will know the difference between a police siren and a fire siren....and hold your breath every time you hear one. Then learn to let it go - you can't live your life in fear.
4. You KNOW you married for love, because it sure wasn't for the money.
3. Every piece of clothing he owns has either a fish or a fire department logo on it. Don't fight it, just be happy if what he leaves the house in is stain free and not holey.
2. Don't argue before he goes to the station - you don't want that on your conscience.
1. Embrace the firefighting lifestyle - pranks, cuts, poverty and all.