Friday, January 13, 2012

Birthday Blues

Miss Chatterbox was considerably less than impressed with her 3rd birthday.   No, more than that.  She was downright disappointed.  Like tantrums and tears disappointed. Of course, I don't deny that it's my fault.

Now in my defense, last weekend had too much going on to throw a party.  Several of the key players were sick, The Firefighter was tied up in class, and I didn't want to expose the newly recovered Bun to lots of new germs.  Nor am I a real believer in massive parties for small children.

But

At the last minute, I felt a little bit weird not acknowledging her actual day of birth, at all.  So, I ran out (right before dinner - literally) bought a cookie cake and sprinkles, as well as a balloon.  Rushed home, and told Miss Chatterbox, "Happy Birthday!  Want to decorate a giant cookie?"

Miss Chatterbox cocks her head to the side as she looks at me with a puzzled expression on her face.

"My birtday, Saturday, Mommy.  It no Saturday."

"Yes, baby, It's Saturday, right now! Your birthday is today."

"NOOOOOOOOOO!   It  not.  My birtday Saturday.  I wait for Saturday."

"You want your birthday cookie?"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!  IT NOT MY BIRTDAY!"  Then she ran off to her room and slammed he door.

Sidenote:  I thought door slamming didn't start until the teen years.  Boy howdy, was I wrong.  If she slams that door one more time, *grumble grumble* I swear, I'm gonna take it off the hinge!  Having a door is a privilege, damn it!  Eek!  I sound like my mother!!

Moving on.

It was at that moment I realised that she had specific expectations for her birthday.  Serious expectations.  It turns out that she wants a Christmas like spectacle that starts in the morning and ends when she goes to sleep.

Sigh.

For some reason, I am just not feeling excited about this prospect, like I was Christmas.  Not that I don't want to make it special for her, I do.  It just feels kinda like work.  And work is not fun.  I'm hoping I just have a wicked case of the Mondays, even though it's, umm,  Friday.  Or maybe I'm getting Grinchy in my old age.  I sure hope not.  Green fur does nothing for my complexion.

Anyway.

Anyone think I can pull something like this off?   


This weekend we will try again.  Wish me luck!


PS - Big news post coming soon!











1 comment:

  1. My oldest son's b-day is 4 days after Christmas, he often got ripped on parties and celebrations because, you know, Christmas takes it's toll. The family didn't want to buy more presents and think about getting together again. So eventually we started going out for pizza or bowling or something like that for his day.

    ReplyDelete