Sunday, October 14, 2012

Stupid Loves Company

Do you have those songs that remind you of a different time?  I sure do.

I was sitting here, rubbing together the 1.5 braincells my children haven't stolen, trying to think of something to write about when I heard a song on Pandora that took me back.

It's a song from the days of Napster.  But it was one of those songs you never admitted to your friends you liked.  You know, the ones you listened to only when you were alone in the car?  And if you happened to forget that CD was in the player when a friend got in the car, you'd blame your little sister.  Only, I don't have a little sister, so that didn't work out so well for me.


Aqua's Barbie Girl.  I used to LOVE that song.  What?  Come on, confess.  Secretly, you liked it too.  Oh yes, it's obnoxious.   But it's obnoxious in a catchy Gangnam Style kinda way that stays on endless mental repeat and you end up singing it out loud in the bathroom at work just to try to get.it.out.of.your.head.  You may even end up dancing in front of the mirror trying to free your brain from it's spell.

Oh, you don't do that?  Eh, that's okay.  I'm comfortable with my weirdness.

Anyway.

I got to reminiscing about some of the stupid stuff I've done.  And it dawned on me.  If my children, collectively, do 1/3 of the foolish things I have, I'll be white haired before I'm fifty or dead from a heart attack.   For the first time ever, I viewed my past antics with a parental eye.  

I'm so doomed. Sigh.

You see, I wasn't your normal wild child.  No sex, drugs and rock and roll for me.  Nope, I was more of a tree bashing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, balcony hopping (4 stories up), climb through two story high rafters to pull a prank, donut spinning strapped to the roof kinda girl.  

Oh yeah, then there was the time I did a chinese fire drill at a railroad crossing and got clipped by oncoming traffic coming from a LDS friend's ward dance.

Or the time I had to get 14 stitches in the forehead from a playground swing.

And that was just high school.  

College antics?  Those included things like jello wrestling, golfing wiffle balls off the roof, more tree bashing, getting banned from more than one walmart and a completely sober stint in the drunk tank....

If I'm honest, I still, occasionally, have the urge to do something stupid.  I don't follow through, of course, but that isn't because I've grown and matured.  It's because stupid doesn't like to be alone.  Stupid LOVES company.  It's not fun if there's no proof of stupid happening.  And as The Firefighter just has to be all responsible and shit, I've become boring by association.  

It's fun when it's just yourself.  When it's your kids....  I'm not sure my sanity can take it.  Can I just lock them in their room for the next thirty years?


Hope y'all have a good weekend!  If you get your wild on, think of me.  Seriously.  It's all diapers and dooky around here.  I have to live vicariously through you people.  





For your viewing pleasure, firefighters doing Gangnam Style.  






2 comments:

  1. I miss college for those very same stupid things who'd a thunk I would miss lime green jello wrestling. I hear you talk about work and I miss those days - having the sheriff bail me out of another mess I thought I could handle, but drunk rednecks with guns, in the bar in the middle of the marsh are just funny, they have that scary, oh crap this isn't so fun anymore side. Love this post, but I will walking around singing Barbie girl and swearing at you for putting it into my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe I'm too old for Barbie Girl. I loved the Macarena, though, when the boys were learning it in PE and horrified by the fact, lol. (Once I actually listened to the words, I think I was, too. That was elementary school.)

    Oh well, I'm as boring as it gets, no vicarious-ing through me. The few wild and crazy times I had when I was younger, that I can even remember, I'm still trying to forget.

    Luckily for me, my boys are mostly pretty tame.
    Sometimes, though, that makes me sad, and I wish they were braver and more adventurous and would get out there and experience life and the world.
    On the other hand, though, it's nice to not have to worry about them.

    ReplyDelete