Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11

I don't often use my blog as a sounding board for my opinions.  I tend to stick to the glitter farting fluffy bunnies of life.  But I have opinions, strong ones, that are frequently unpopular.  This post is about one of them.

September 11, 2001.  It sucked ass.  Complete and total ass suckage.  There is no way around it.  And we all know this.   Thousands of souls, who can never be replaced died.  If that doesn't suck ass, I don't know what does.

However, in the 12 years since, we have grown, and learned many hard lessons as a society as a direct result of that day.  History is only doomed to repeat itself if we don't learn from it.  And we haven't forgotten.  It lives on indelibly etched in the minds of all Americans alive that day.  In the same way that Pearl Harbor can't be forgotten by those that lived it.

The experience and feelings and emotions of such a tragedy is not something that can be transmitted to the next generation.  Only when a generation experiences a massive tragedy of there own can they then personally relate to tragedies of years past.

I also believe that the heroes that died that day and as a result of that day (in war and otherwise), did so readily, that we may continue to live the American life as we know it.  This sacrifice commands respect.  A respect I will willingly give every year in the form of a moment of silence.

Of course I understand that everyone grieves differently.

But, I don't believe that memorials, endless replaying of footage and broadcasts, the "what were you doing that day" game, or conspiracy theory discussions are useful, helpful, or healthy.  And, dare I say it?  I think they are unnecessarily dramatic.

At what point do we allow the dead to rest in peace, and allow the survivors to heal?  How long will we parade widows around and ring bells and, and, and?  What do we gain from this?  Do we learn anything new or helpful or useful?

I think this day is particularly hard for first responders.   Even more so for those with PTSD.  EVEN MORE so for those who lived it first hand.  Those who were there when it all was happening do not need a memorial to remember it.  They don't need endless footage on TV.  They don't need to be forced to memorials while on duty.  They see it happening in their own brains every.single.time they close their eyes.  The reels they run in their minds would never be approved for TV viewing.

The way I see it, we are harming those who helped us the most.

Can we let the dead rest in peace, paying our respects in a simpler manner?  I think so.

















No comments:

Post a Comment